Crammed with iconic buildings, world-class art and a culinary scene steeped in history, Paris is one of the world’s great capitals, overflowing with style, romance, and art de vivre.
Travel bucket list idea:
Paris, Ile-de-France, France|www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com|
Jacquemart-Andre Museum is proof of the discerning taste of the 19th-century banking heir Edouard Andre and his wife Nelie Jacquemart. Italian Renaissance masterpieces by Botticelli and Uccello, French portraiture and decorative arts, Dutch and English paintings are all displayed around this grandiose mansion – even the café has a Tiepolo on the ceiling.
The museum is divided into five major parts:
- The State Apartments, for formal receptions, rich in French paintings and 18th-century decorative art.
- The Informal Apartments, for receiving business relations, is decorated in a refined style.
- The Winter Garden is inspired by Opera Garnier.
- The Italian Museum is home to their collections of 15th- and 16th-century Italian sculpture, with masterpieces by Francesco Laurana, Donatello, Luca Della Robbia and others; plus painted masterpieces by Botticelli, Francesco Botticini and Perugino, and Ucello’s celebrated St. George and the Dragon.
- The Private Apartments occupy part of the mansion’s ground floor.
Getting there & doing it
Take the metro to Miromesnil. You can download an audio guide with commentary on the permanent and temporary exhibitions for smartphone from the website (they have Wi-Fi there if you forget beforehand), or you can collect an audio guide upon arrival.
When to do it
The museum is open all year round, seven days a week.
Destination guides including or relevant to this experience